Friday, July 15, 2011

Baseball

I'm listening to sports talk radio right now and they are talking about how the baseball team (Mariners) won 116 games in 1year. It set a record in baseball for most wins by a team in one season. I think back to all the playoff appearances by tbe Giants, including the one year D Baker pulled Russ Ortiz, and I don't ever remember the sports talk radio hosts having a celebration in remembrance of their good year. I think fans in San Francisco are a bit more demanding. They, like the San Francisco Bay Area have an edge I have never seen in any other city. I have never been to NY, however based on what I've heard and read, I would guess it's not quite the same. The ppl in SF are a bit more high strung for better or worse.

What we are doing here is not unlike what a small town in Oklahoma would do if their little baseball team made a good season. I think it's cute. Initially the San Franciscan in me said, "what?!? Why are they celebrating? The did not even win the championship." But part of me appreciates the small, down to earth approach to having some fun and celebrating the little things the teams has accomplished, since they don't have anything else to hang their hat on. Seattle definitely has a bit of that mid-west feel to it and this is not necessarily a bad thing. It's certainly more wholesome than the rabid infatuation many fans in (and outside) of San Francisco exhibit.

Chris Russo, a sports broadcaster in NY, and lifelong Gigantes fan. has one of the funniest rants I've ever heard. He literally sounds like a man who sounds like he is at his wits end because the Giants once again, failed to win the World Series. I've not heard one single Mariners fan with half the passion Chris Russo has, not to say that they don't have passion, but in general, it's bad form to appear rabid.

You can hear the rant here on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM_8AQwk4gY

No comments:

Post a Comment